Wednesday, December 24, 2014

But Tyra, I'm ready

So you’re telling me I can never be on America’s Next Top Model? Never? Hmm, well surely there must be petite models. Oh wait, the shortest person on the Petite cycle was 5 3’, 5 inches taller than me. Solid. The many days spent practicing my Beyoncé strut down the hallway has all been for nothing. Depressing.

Like every person, I’ve dealt with my fair share of insecurities. And I know full well how it feels to stick out like a sore thumb. I am not the norm and never will be the norm. I don’t quite fit into the plus size category but I’m also no size zero either. I’m not tall enough to be petite but I’m also not short enough to be on Little People, Big World either. So where does that leave me?

Many times, the pressure of fitting into a category or a particular mold can cause us to be self-conscious or even take matters into our own hands. When I’m riding the elevator to school and aspiring models surround me, the thought does cross my mind. Would I be happier if I was taller? And the answer is NO. This is not because I view being tall as a bad thing but because I was not dealt that card.

Although it is hard at times, the more I own what I have going on and stop longing to one day be able to rock a maxi skirt, the happier I will be. I think this holds true for everyone. The sooner we can let go of fitting into a certain ideal, the easier it will be to love the card we were dealt.

What I look like to the whole world with the exception of toddlers.

No comments:

Post a Comment