Tuesday, December 16, 2014

The Secret is Out

Now, this is a story all about how, my life got flipped-turned upside down, and I’d like to take a minute, just sit right there, I’ll tell you how Justin Bieber sang a song I wrote with my friend Lauren.

My friend Lauren and I

April 22, 2010
It was 2AM, Lauren and I were having a sleepover and we were so overtired. Naturally we decided to write a song for Justin Bieber’s guitarist Dan Kanter. Isn’t that what all people do at sleepovers. I’m not sure if you can really call it a song, it’s more like a short little chorus, followed by a juvenile rap. We decided to film ourselves singing it on my camera. The next day, I saw the video, thought it was so embarrassing, and didn’t want to post it. After some convincing, Lauren and I decided to post it anyways. (Note: My YouTube account is deleted, so it’s not on the Internet anymore, which is good because it’s rather embarrassing.)



A couple days later
We were planning on sending Dan the video on twitter but we had to time it right because he was in Australia. Before we could send it, he found it on YouTube and sent us a tweet. We were stoked. (Note: We later found out that he found the video because his fiancé Yael likes to Google his name from time to time.)

June 2010
I’m at soccer practice and I check my phone, I have two missed calls, and a twitter notification from Dan Kanter. Justin sang it for Dan’s birthday. Basically finding out you went from Justin Bieber not knowing you exist to singing a song you wrote with your friend yields lots and lots of crying.  

Summer 2010
Throughout the summer, Justin started singing our song on his North American tour during the special sound check parties before the show. For the next 3 years or so, he went from singing it at sound check parties in the US to singing it in concert worldwide. A few cities on the list, Tel Aviv, Dublin, Adelaide,  and Caracas.





November 16, 2010- Concert #1
Today was the day we got to meet Dan Kanter, and Justin Bieber. I was so nervous about crying when I met Justin that I had been praying about it for weeks. God answers prayer, no crying for me that day. We ended up getting tickets to the concert, and the sound check party. At the sound check party Justin asked Lauren and I to come on stage with him(FF 2:29) to sing our song. After getting to chat with Dan for an hour or so we got to meet Justin, he was what you would expect for any 16-year-old boy. After talking with him for a little bit, we left and went to our seats for the concert. The concert was great, and Justin even ended his show with our song.
Shaq Vs.
Earlier in the summer, Shaquielle O’Neal was filming his show Shaq Vs. and he crashed one of Justin’s sound check parties and he ended up hearing our song and then changed the lyrics to it. This is still the most random thing that’s happened. An NBA player singing a song we wrote (FF 4:25), kind of strange.

Picking up my copy of Never Say Never
Paramount Pictures
I remember it was a snow day and I was home from school. Dan called and told me that Paramount Pictures had decided to put a clip of Justin singing our song in the special features of the Director’s Cut of Never Say Never.

November 10, 2012- Concert #2
I was a freshman in college and I went home for the weekend to go to the Believe concert with my friend Lauren. This time was really fun because we got to talk with Dan and his wonderful wife Yael backstage for awhile. I won't go into too much detail but I will say that they are the coolest couple ever. One thing that happened at this concert that I’m really proud of is I made fun of Justin’s hair when we were taking our photo. Also, another random fact, Jaden Smith gave me a sweatshirt. I still have it, and wear it from time to time.

July 20, 2013- Concert #3
This concert was the second time we were seeing the Believe Tour and it was a lot of fun. We ran into Justin’s drummer while we were waiting to take a picture with Justin and he said, “I remember you girls, you look a lot different.” I remember thinking; at least someone noticed that I’ve finally learned how to dress myself.

December 25, 2013- Believe Movie 
The most recent thing that has happened is a year ago on Christmas; Justin’s Believe Movie came out. They had a clip of fans singing our song, so they had to put our names in the credits of the movie.





Thanks for reading, and don’t forget to look out for my next blog about Christmas in the City!  

No comments:

Post a Comment