Friday, December 5, 2014

#FellowShortyFriday

Name: Kathleen Farah
Hometown: Centreville, Virginia
Height: 4’ 11.5”

Bio: Kathleen is currently a senior in college, studying Politics, Philosophy, and Economics here in New York City. In Kathleen’s free time, she enjoys reading economics articles and books. When she’s not doing that, you can find her asking other's their high/lows or watching Star Trek and Doctor Who. 

What’s one thing you buy that you wouldn’t need if you were taller?
“If I was taller, I wouldn’t have such a close relationship with my tailor. It’s this group of old men that sit around, yell at each other, and are very sassy and they’re just so much fun to watch, because I like old people. I’ve always had such a hard time buying pants because if you try on pants that fit you length wise, they don’t fit you around the waist, because they assume you’re a toddler. But my freshman year, I found these pants from J. Crew, they're called the pixie pants, they can fit any short person like a dream.”


Did you like being the shortest one growing up?
“I liked all the nicknames I was given, like Thumbelina. Probably the best thing about being short was during chore time, I would always hide in the smallest places, so no one could find me, and I’d end up getting out of chores. I was also a pro at hide and seek as well.”


Tell me about a memorable conversation that involved your height?
“Oh my goodness (puts head on the table), I can’t remember how old I was but I was a teenager at the time, I think I was 16. Mel Gibson invited people over to watch Passion of the Christ at his home, and my Dad’s a journalist so he was invited and brought me. Growing up the movie Braveheart was my favorite; I think we have recordings of me running around the house yelling "freedom". Anyways, what was special about this showing was that it was the uncut version of the movie, and in the uncut version the crucifixion process is about half of the movie. My dad took me after the movie to introduce me to Mel Gibson. He introduces me, and I say, “May I have your autograph?” This is the moment I have been waiting for my entire life. Mel Gibson doesn’t respond and looks at my dad in complete horror and says, “How could you bring such a young child to this kind of a movie?” My dad said “Well, she’s 16.” Then Mel Gibson just says, “Oh.” and then he signed his autograph and we walked away.”

You’re 22, what’s it like going to a bar?
“I went to this upscale bar called Rouge Tomate in the Upper East Side. The first time I went there, I sat down and I ordered a drink. Usually the fancier the bar the less likely someone is going to come in and ID you. But apparently I looked so young that they had to ID me, so I showed him my ID and he just looks at it and laughs, and says, “There is no way this is a real ID because there’s no way you’re 21, this is a fake ID.” He then threatened to take my state issued ID, so then I had to call the manager and the manager had to talk some sense into this person. But there is redemption to this story, Zach the bartender is now my pal, and he serves me all the time when I go there.”

When was the last time you grew?
“Children are usually the ones who care about the ¼-½ inch growth. But my doctor knew how much it would mean to me so he said, Kathleen, “You grew ½ inch, I’m going to update all your medical records, to say that you’re 4’ 11.5”.” I was so excited that immediately after leaving the doctors office, and I mean immediately because I did it in the parking lot of the doctors office. I wrote an e-mail not only to my immediate family but to my extended family that read, “Dear Family, I grew half an inch! If you see my Victoria Secret contract in the mail, just set it in my bedroom. Don’t worry I won’t forget you little people when I make it big as an international supermodel.”
Kathleen with her boyfriend Benjamin
Christmas is coming up, what are you most excited about?
“I’m most excited about spending an extending period of time with my family and seeing Benjamin, my boyfriend, who is coming back home from Oxford.”

1 comment: